New indices for optimizing boiler performance through fuel blending, additive use, and operational adjustments
For a given fuel, Microbeam can now use its new Coal Quality Index (CQI) to provide information toward determining optimal fuel blending and use of additives for enhanced system thermal and environmental performance. The CQI calculation uses fuel quality information derived from the ASTM analysis for the sample tested combined with Microbeam’s database information to provide a single index value that can be tailored for specific plants.
Additionally, Microbeam also provides Plant Performance Index (PPI) calculations, based on plant operational parameters input and fuel quality. Plant personnel can use this data to optimize boiler operations in order to maintain slag flow, minimize NOx formation, and minimize ash deposition.
Here’s how CQI & PPI, aka the “Tools,” work . . .
Overview – Pulverized Coal Combustion
- Fuel selection
- Fuel blending
- Additive addition
- Operating conditions
Microbeam staff will tailor the “tool” (CQI or PPI index) for each plant (design / operating parameters) and fuel types (database).
The only input you need is ash content, B/A ratio, and sodium oxide in the ash.
- Combustion – Cyclone, pulverized fuel, and fluid beds
- Environmental control systems – Particulate ESP, fabric filters; SOx scrubbers; NOx – staging, SNCR, SCR
- Gasification – entrained flow, fixed bed, fluid bed, transport reactor
- Syngas cooler fouling, hot and warm gas clean-up
Applications – Tailored to Plant
Application Development – Tailored to your plant and fuel resources
Plant specific database and algorithm development:
- Fuel properties
- Fuel blending
- Plant design
- Plant operating conditions
- Coal Quality Indices – Fuel Selection blending
- Ash formation – partitioning
- Slag flow – viscosity
- Slagging and fouling
- Particulate properties
- Erosion/abrasion wear
- Power Plant Performance Indices – Operating conditions – improved thermal and environmental performance
- NOx formation
- Furnace exit gas temperature
- Urea use
- Overfire air set point
- Excess oxygen
View a Plant Performance Index (PPI) demo:
Contact us for a quotation for your plant
Dr. Steve Benson
Microbeam Technologies Inc.
Mobile: (701) 213-7070